On Jul 26, 2004, at 10:34 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My son's friend is headed to college and is asking recommendations for a laptop to both do word processing and play video/music. Is Quicktime a possible alternative for this young man? I was thinking about recommending a 190 or 280c since I have either one that I could donate to him. but would a 540 or 1400 be a better choice? Thank you for the help.

Oh jeez, none of the above! All are way too underpowered for what he really wants, I'll wager.

Look for something with a G3 native in it at the *very* least, and *definitely* the ability to do either ethernet or wireless networking.

Many colleges offer both, and you *really* want this. More and more colleges are also moving huge amounts of daily functions to the web, for which you need modern, reliable browsers.

Lombards, Pismos, and even early iBooks and TiBooks have come down dramatically in price. iBooks are damned cheap new even, and all will run OS X and iTunes. I've seen Wallstreets in the LEM swap list for < $200.

I mean, for $750 he can get a refurbed 'new' G4 iBook from Apple...a computer that will last him a few years, instead of something that cannot deal with files from other students, professors and classes, or won't play music well, or won't play video very well, doesn't have any new software, won't run any new software, etc, etc.
I love my 540c, it's a great little notebook for what it does, but no way at all would I tolerate it being my only computer.

I know you want to be nice, but saddling people with antique, underpowered Macs unable to connect easily to the college network is the surest way to drive them into the arms of PC-dom. Then they'll proceed on to have a virus-ridden spyware-loaded, craptacular computing experience like all the other people stuck with PC's, because 'that's what everyboy else has...'

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

If $ 750 is out of the question a $ 50 1400 will do word processing and run an early version of iTunes just fine.

And there have been some early G3 machines on the swap list lately for under $ 300.00

-- Adrian