Brian writes,

<Is this while you are connected to the internet, or not?

If it is when you are not, be sure to turn off all stuff that
"helpfully" tries to connect to the internet automatically.

The time/date control panel, quicktime and other apple software
updates, that sort of thing.

That can lock things up while it tries to phone home.  Especially
pre-OS9, I think.  I used to have this happen a long time ago on my
6400 desktop, so guess you may be running 8.something?>

Fascinating. This "stalling" happens to me when I've tried to multitask
-- i.e., word process, chat or answer an email while I'm in the midst of
a long download of something from the web. Unfortunately, however, it
happens to me under OS 9 as well. No wonder I hate downloading and only
do it when I'm desperate for something.

Well, thanks for the info....

~Yersinia.