I wrote:
>AFAIK it's not possible to use more than one Quicktime camera
>with any Macintosh, at least not under a classic Mac OS as
>QT can't deal with more than one video source at once.

to which George Mogiljansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>Thanks for that.
>I should have mentioned that I will be attempting to
>use either or both CoolCam and DigitalRadar apps. The
>camera(s) will only be activated (I'm hoping) when a
>certain set of conditions is met (probably involving
>night-time darkness).
>
>The powerbook will be unattended for long periods of
>time (probably weeks). I am searching for a
>3400-compatible USB PCMCIA card that will provide
>enough power to connect a Kensington USB cam as a
>second camera (if that's possible - to use both the
>Connectix  and the Kensington).
>
>Power failures are common in the area, so the Li ion
>battery will have to take over and keep things humming
>until the power comes back on.  This means I cannot
>use a desktop (which might have made things easier).
>
>So far, I have avoided the option of getting a proper
>surveillance apparatus. Is there any other Mac-ready
>option (HW or SW or both) that might be useful?

Doesn't matter the source (serial or USB), if using QuickTime as the
underlying transport you cannot have more than one video input at a time
per Mac.

Your's is an interesting problem and I'm curious to see how you solve it.

My thinking, given the one-camera-per-Mac limit, is to use multiple
inexpensive PBs to do the capturing. IIRC, Digital Radar can run on any
68030 or better, so even a PB500 or 190 would do the trick. A PB500 has
built-in ethernet _and_ video out, but uses (small) SCSI HDs and has no
PCcard slots. The PB190 has PCcard slots and uses ATA drives but lacks
video out and built-in enet . . . sigh.

Another idea - I've been seeing stand-alone IP-based cams for around
$100, eg:
<http://www.pimfg.com/product_detail.asp?master_desc=&secondary_desc=&part=
IC-300>

and w/audio:
<http://www.pimfg.com/product_detail.asp?master_desc=&secondary_desc=&part=
IC-301>

more money, more features?:
<http://www.pimfg.com/product_detail.asp?master_desc=&secondary_desc=&part=
NC-1000S>
more more features, and wifi connected to boot:
<http://www.pimfg.com/product_detail.asp?master_desc=&secondary_desc=&part=
NC-1000W>

Might something like one of these be an option? Interestingly, you can
probably run a QuickCam on your 3400 while simultaneously accepting an IP
video feed.

Another (more costly) solution is conventional video surveillance
hardware, with video cameras feeding either into a time-lapse VCR or into
a Mac-based video digitizer. The key with these setups is using a
multiplexer, which lumps several video feeds into one. I'm sure you've
seen security screens where there are, for example, 4 individual pictures
on one TV monitor. IIRC, a four-up multiplexer ain't cheap ($300?), but
it may be possible to source something pre-owned.

BTW, if theft is the problem you face, aren't you a tad concerned the
thieves will make off with your carefully crafted surveillance setup? :-P

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500