My 270c/280c still does not boot.  The initial chime does not come on.
However, the 8 chimes indicating a hardware problem does sound when I turn
it on.  Well, I got the screen to light up for a split second twice, so I do
think that the screen is OK.  So, it seems that I have an initial hardware
problem before the booting stage.

A couple of people on this list told me to check the RAM.  I switched the
RAM to my other 280 and it works well.  The hard drive appears OK, but
beyond putting another hard drive into the 270c with the same result, I have
not tested it.  So, according to the Apple Service Source book I have a
defective logic board to check yet.  I guess I could use a replacement logic
board.  If anyone has one, or thinks maybe I overlooked something else, let
me know please.

Alternatively, will a 270c screen work on a 280/280c computer that was
operating well with a black and white screen since new?  Are the chipset and
drivers OK in that other good machine, or would I have to change the logic
board in that also?

I am a novice, but I have changed RAM, hard drives, and trackpads in Duos
and am not afraid (at the value of these nowadays) to completely tear it
apart.  I do like the lightness and size of the machines and others seem to
like them also.

Also, I tried booting from an auxiliary hard drive with the same result.
Maybe someone has tried putting a larger hard drive in these machine.  I
would love a bigger hard drive.

Dan in AZ