I'm running 8.6 on my 5300c, and it works much more reliably than
7.6.1 in my experience, although it takes up lots more memory and
disk space.

I transferred all of my hard disk info from my old 7500, which is
where I originally installed 8.6.

My installation CD was also meant for G3 only, and it did not want to
install onto my 7500 using the disk's usual install route ( the
install icon when you first look at ).  I was only able to install it
by looking deeper into the disk's folders for a second installer,
which I seem to remember was only two or three folders deep.  (I
don't have a CD ROM right now so I can't look to confirm)  This
installer doesn't seem to care what computer you're loading onto, as
long as it's PowerPC.

Try that, and it should work just fine. (fingers crossed)

I have a 5300 that I am trying to load 8.6 on to and it won't
install.  It is a disk from a g3.

Could this be why it won't load?  Do I need a different version?

All I am wanting to do with the 5300 is be able to install Office 98
for mac on it.  What is the lowest level of os that will run Office
98?

It currently has 7.5 on it.

Dan5300c