On Thursday, August 26, 2004, at 09:12 PM, George Mogiljansky wrote:

Still not sure what I can do about finding the IP # of the server. Maybe the freewares Mac2Mac or MacVNC, or perhaps ShareWay IP which I did install today on the 3400 using OS 8.6 have a solution.

MacVNC is a dog, don't even try it. Especially the old versions you are limited to. It's just going to crash. And I don't know how it would help with your IP issue. I don't know anything about Mac2Mac.

>But the really interesting point being - if the remote
>mac (server) has to connect on its own, how?

You could see www.dyndns.org as I suggested earlier. Look in the section for "dynamic DNS". When your 3400 is online (you'll have to find a way to script that happening automatically, or by using say the date/time autoupdate feature and setting your TCP/IP to connect whenever any app asks for internet, coupled with a say 30 min timeout), there are free utils that will update a custom DNS name (like, george.dyndns.org) with your current IP. So you could use internet-based protocols to talk to your server using george.dyndns.org as the address. Next time it (3400) called in, the IP that george.dyndns.org links to, would get updated with your new one. dyndns.org used to have a free dynamic DNS service, I'm sure it's still available.

Note that if Bruce (and Drew) are right, and I am misremembering, you *could* use ARA or file sharing one of the AppleIP variants (since they did it a couple ways). And just call your 3400 directly. That would be pretty easy to test. I can test over ethernet sometime in the next couple weeks, but I don't have enough desktop modems to try it the way you will need to do it. You would not have to set up anything else, no internet or anything necessary. It might be too slow to work well, though, since you could not stop the DRadar from running and it's a big load on older computers.

Do you have 2 computers and 2 modems in hand? You can test it out yourself pretty easily. See Bruce and Drew's posts for a mostly step-by-step. If it works that is indeed the simplest and likely most reliable solution.

Shareway IP: You might be able to kludge something, but the overhead on the 3400 will be huge squared, I suspect it would be easier to try and find/set up a BBS and just zmodem down your files. But I never heard of any Apple-based BBS's :/

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt, speaking on President Wilson's crackdown on dissent after the U.S. entered W.W.I