I recently acquired a powerbook 5300 with 48 megs of ram. What is everyones
system and web browser recommendations for this system? It seems to be a
pretty solid powerbook with none of the common road apple problems and I
would really like to get the most I can out of using it.

 Thanks
Doug

Better late than never...I'm using 8.6 and agree that it's the most stable. 7.6.1 was much faster booting and felt faster in finder mode (with SpeedDoubler of course), but I had lots of crashes. 8.6 may feel a bit slower, and boot up a lot slower, but you'll save time (and your work) if you don't have to reboot so often. I also leave it in sleep mode when I'm away, and it takes a few seconds to wake up; MUCH faster than booting all the time. I only reboot for the very occasional freeze.

For web browsing I'm using Explorer 5.1. My online bank account no longer works with v.4.5. I like 5.1 better anyway. Netscape 4.8 works, but I felt that it was slower, and I had some freezing problems with it. It also rendered some pages strangely, and I gave up.

I have my browser's cache folder on a 5Mb RAM disk; speeds up surfing a bit. You have plenty of RAM so I'd suggest it.
--

Dan5300c