On Sep 18, 2004, at 8:31 AM, Brian Mahoney wrote:

When I read the instructions the one that says "before you install", it says
I must have 8.5 to go to the 9.1 that is on the CD. I tried choosing the CD
as the startup disk but it didn't go, just went back into 8.1. Now the
problem may be the version of 9.1 I have, which version or CD it is exactly
is the question since it is on a CDR. I thought, as with Windows, you could
boot up on a floppy then do a clean install of 9.1. It doesn't seem that
there is such a thing as a boot floppy.
There is nothing on the 3400c which is important so I don't mind wiping the
drive and starting over but I can't figure out how to make this CD bootable.
Does that explain it? I'm a windows guy with a new (to me) G3 and this 3400c
and I love them both, such a lot of fun compared to my normal toys!

I have installed and reinstalled OS 9.1 onto several PowerBook 3400c's numerous times over the years. I always boot from the OS 9.1 Install CD by pressing the "C" key while restarting. Have you tried it?