On Saturday, September 25, 2004, at 07:31 AM, Brian Mahoney wrote:

Now, lo and behold, Raid 0 has been found to be actually slower in
gaming situations when compared to having only 1 hard drive.
If you'd talked to an 'expert' a month ago, he would have laughed at the
thought. I mean the world is flat, right?

Actually anyone who knew about RAID would have said no from the beginning. <http://tinyurl.com/6mffz> RAID 0 is only faster when you're streaming long uninterrupted amounts of data to the RAID, as in capturing video or audio, and even that depends on the speed of the drives, the RAID controller (and whether it's hardware or software) and the rest of the system.

Games suck tiny bits of data off of drives at a high rate. They have high seek rates, and when what you're seeking is spread out over two drives it's going to be slower.

These people were not, in fact,experts at all, merely blowhards who thought they knew what they were talking about.

RAID was not, in fact, ever designed as a I/O speedup tool, but as a data integrity tool. That I/O speeds up in some modes in some

I've learned that there's probably more urban legend in the gamerboyz world than just about anywhere else beyond high-end audiophiles.

The
amount of mis-information in the PC world is staggering.

That I wiill not dispute.

Now with my 3400C and my G3/333 (plus at least 20 vintage Macs) I think I
have found Nirvana. Still a bit confusing but a whole lot more fun than all
of my PCs put together.
(long post, hope it makes sense.)

BM

"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson