At 09:06 AM +0100 10/15/2004, VidaVerde wrote:
OK, while we're all thinking on this, can anyone explain why it is that my percieved connection speed almost doubles - in all internet apps - when I have MacTCP Watcher open???? Since I noticed this, if I find a site too slow, I just start it up and away we go . .

I can only guess that MacTCP watcher is in some way giving TCP/IP a higher interrupt priority or something?

hum. Watcher works by inserting a module into your IP stack. It's all interrupt driven, and that level doesn't change. There could be some forced buffer flushes happening, I guess.

Try some big downloads; see if there's any change over a long term. Also try some of the speed tests at www.dslreports.com. They have a long list of tests, by location - see if you can find one that's "near" you.

OS Z1-9.1
Plain system + USB support
PB 3400/240 144/40
OT 2.7.6
MacTCP Watcher 2.0  (from 1996, don't know if its still available or newer?)

Watcher was merged into Anarchie, which in turn became Interarchy. With OS 9.1, stick with Watcher 2.0.

- Dan.