From: "Tom W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP on System 7 - Bruce?

Bruce, oh guru, perhaps you could shed a little more light on this. I
have a mac/windoze network hooked to the net through a router.
I am trying to add a powerbook 520. I tried with system 7.53. I couldn't
get it to either talk to my os x computers on the network or the net.
Although I could see the OS X computers in the chooser, it wouldn't let
me access them telling me they were using a PAP that system 7.53 didn't
recognize. I then upgraded the pb520 to os 8.1 and set appletalk to
ethernet and tcp/ip to dhcp. Using netscape 3, but still won't access
the net, giving me a socket error or something like that. I can access
appletalk now with 8.1. The PB520 is plugged directly into one of the
ports of the router.
Any ideas on what sendings, both to communicate to the OS X puters and
access the net?
Thanks for any help
Tom

First, in answer to the original question, DHCP should work with System 7. Make sure you have the latest Open Transport installed. I believe that's version 1.1.2, without checking Apple's Older Software site. I have used it with 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 on my SE/30, and with 7.6.1 and 8.1 on my PowerBook 540c.
If you want to connect to an OSX machine, try using IP rather than Appletalk. Not all routers pass AT packets, but IP was built into OS8 and available through OT with System7. I have noticed that with my dead pram battery the 540c nearly always switches itself back to communicating through the printer/modem port, and I have to remember to set it back to ethernet. OS8 made that a little easier with the Location Manager.

---
JSH
TiBook