Hi. Bruce.

You should be able to control and configure the ABS from the wired or
wireless side. I think this link will tell you how to configure the ABS via
the Ethernet port http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58584

Apple's Base Station configuration software will run under OS 8.6 if you
use version 1.3.1. However some times it wont let you set all the settings.
Some choices may be greyed out.

Be sure to check out the Java utilities that let you configure the ABS.
With MRJ 2.1.1,and above,they will work on OS 8 or above.

I am at work so I don't have access to all my links, but you should be able
to find a link to the Java utilities from here:
http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/index.html
or here.
http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

I have been playing with the Java utilities for a couple of days, and I
like them. The Airport Base Station Configurator sets the WEP to a HEX
password, so you may have to put 0x in the front of any password on the
PowerBook's. For the Graphite ABS your HEX key should be 10 charters plus
0x, for a total of 12.

 You may want to be able to have the base station to dial out the modem
from the wired side, so check out the ABS Modem Utility here
http://www.catsincharge.com/programs/

I find it easer to control the dial out over letting it auto dial when I
launch a browser.

I wonder, are you going to try an put you 540 on Wireless??

Ken Vann