Bruce Johnson writes,

<That said, when you can walk into a store and buy a 160 gig hard drive
for $60 after rebates, disk space is somewhat less of an issue. I've
seen 30 gig drives go for $15 on the LEM swap list.>

Ohh, this sounds so good because a 30 gig drive is precisely what I need
right now, and $15 is right in my budget too. But I'd like to ask you,
and any other listers here, about your experiences on buying HDs from the
swap list. As in, have you ever bought any and it turned out to be a bad
drive?

I ask because -- sorry this isn't about my Powerbook, but your mention of
the swap list caught my attention -- I bought a G3/233 from the swap list
-- really good price ($35 + shipping), but unfortunately ended up with
two bad HDs (which is why I want to buy a new one, and I'd like a bigger
one than  the 4 MB and 2 MB those were).  That's my only experience
buying from the swap list, and it rather makes me hesitate to buy
anything else there. So do you think I just ran into an exception, or do
you and others who shop on the swap list regularly get both good HDs
and/or other equipment at good prices from there as a rule?

Thanks,

~Yersinia.