Donna Hood Pointer writes,

<Have you tried positioning the arrow using only one finger on the
trackpad and then leaving the arrow there and clicking? I use my right
thumb to click and hold and then my right index finger to drag,
sometimes using strokes.>

You mean to click with the trackpad? No. I click with the clicker which
lives immediately below-in front of the track pad. No need to click with
a trackpad here. I don't know why THIS should be "the finger" I feel most
physically comfortable using ;-) but I came to discover early in my first
trackpad days that my right middle finger, yes, that one, on the trackpad
gives me the best I can get in terms of both speed and accuracy.

<But for accurate positioning of the arrow point, simply moving the arrow
wherever you want it and then leaving it
there (it will not move) gives me great accuracy>.

Getting the arrow where I want it is easier than the cursor, yes. But
since my Powerbook's primary duty is word processing, I also have to get
to very precise positions. Yes, by now I can do this well enough with my
trackpad and I don't ever pack a mouse in my Powerbook's carrybag when
getting ready to go out, but I do have to admit that when I'm doing the
same thing at home on my G3 with the mouse, I'm much more adept at it
with the mouse.

<Have you ever tried  to deal with a skittering Mocrosoft mouse in
Windows?>

No. I don't do Windoze.  ;-)

<Any Mac trackpad has that beaten by a mile.>

I'm sure!!  :-)

<On my older desktops I used to use a plug-in trackpad. and I have also
used trackballs.>

One time, a LONG time ago (1991 or 92 I think), I was at someone else's
house and used his computer. He had a trackball. An awful experience for
me! I'd never outfit any computer of mine with one of those things (my
apologies to those of you who've replied to this thread and praised
trackballs!), and I wouldn't buy a laptop with a trackball as compared to
a trackpad either. Kind of like cars, almost. I drive cars with automatic
transmission. I don't care how old and what a beater of a car it is
otherwise, the only requirement for me is auto trans. Up until recently
even the idea of learning HOW to drive a car with a stick shift was "out,
out, out!" because the thought of it scared me to death. I'd be willing
to at least learn stick now, but I still don't think I'd ever buy a car
like that, at least not for so long as I live in one of the Heavy
Traffic/Jerks On The Road Capital States of the USA. Equate the auto
trans with the trackpad, the stick shift with the trackball.

~Yersinia.