On Nov 30, 2004, at 6:08 AM, Calypso Organization 1 wrote:

At present we have;
a PB5300C /OS 9 all fired up with a Proxim card;
a Power PC upgraded 540C /OS 8.6 with an enterasys card;
a PowerMac 7600 / OS 9 upgraded to G3 using a Sonic Crescendo but no radio
card facility;
and
a recently aquired iMac Blue which only has USB ports. We have an Apple
Airport and several spare WIFI cards all of which are compatible with any
proposed system ( mainly Wavelan Gold and Wavelan Bronze mainly).

Does anyone have any ideas on a good or the the best way to put this puzzle
together so that possibly we could use a "landline " from the 7600 to the
Airport and then wireless the 5300 and the 540? or, better still, is there a
way of connecting the iMac somehow into the loop bearing in mind it only has
USB outlets and we cannot see a means of equiping it with a card as it is a
tray loading and not slot loading version?

AFAIK all iMacs can accept an airport card.

If not, it and the 7600 can use a ethernet to wireless bridge such as: <http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html? action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62800&_LOC=US> which will work with anything that sports an ethernet port.

With the airport you can connect the ethernet port to a small ethernet switch ($10-$50, I found several under $20 via froogle. Trendnet is a decent cheap brand) and the iMac and 7600 to that via wired connections. If your physical layout works with that, this is the simplest solution:

Powerbooks - - - -Airport----switch---7600, iMac.

Problems arise if you've got a graphite airport and are connecting it's ethernet to a broadband internet connection.

In that case you need to get a broadband router instead of a switch, but they can be gotten with several wired ports as well, enough to connect the wireless and wired systems to the internet.

                      internet

PB- - - - -Airport------router------7600, iMac

If you've got a snow airport, it's easier, because it has two ethernet connectons, one for the broadband WAN connection and one you can use for the wired segment of your LAN.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona