On Dec 8 I posted this question:
 I recently bought a used 5300ce; the date/time is not retained
 between startups so I suspect that the PRAM battery is dead. A local
 Mac shop could not replace it citing that "the 5300ce is beyond the
 age where we're going to be able to order parts. It doesn't even come
 up on the list of machines I can search for parts for, so we're not
 going to be able to help you out there ... I Googled a bit for third party
 batteries, but I came up empty. I thought there was a company making
 them, but I was unable to find them."
 I therefore appeal to someone on this list who might point me in the
 right direction to where I might find such an extinct part :-)

My thanks to "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Fabian Fang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Roger Volk (Contractor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and Bryan Kattwinkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for their helpful responses to my question. Fabian and Roger directed me to sites where I could buy the PRAM battery (<http://members.aol.com/dnmonk/powerbooks/index.html> and "The PowerBook Guy") and Bryan's startling (to me) news. He wrote:

"These PRAM batteries are rechargeable, unlike those for desktop Macs. If you don't plug in your PowerBook for several months, the PRAM can completely discharge, resulting in lost date symptoms. It recharges from the power cable. Leave your PowerBook plugged-in overnight and see if the problem cures itself."

-Larry