At 2:48 PM +0100 1/14/05, Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail wrote:
I'm hoping one of you nice folks may be able to help me out.

I just bought a white iBook G3 500 and it works fine, it booted into 9 and then without thinking I booted into X and oops, it needs a password. With it's cdrom not working, I am unable to startup from cd.

Is there a way to get the ibook to boot back to os9?

and when I do, can I install panther over ethernet?

Only if you have access to an OS X Server that is set up to do it.

If you have another Mac with Firewire you could use a Firewire cable and target disk mode on one of the machines to boot it. Connect the machines (both shutdown) with a firewire cable. Put the panther disk in the optical drive of the other machine, turn it on and hold down the "T" key. This puts it in Target Disk mode, making it's drives appear as firewire drives. Now start the iBook and hold down the option key. This will bring up a selection of drives to boot from. The Panther disk from the other machine should appear, click on it and then click on the Right Arrow on screen.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA