Here I am in referance to the handling of gMail's POP/SMTP
for DL/Send and not the known problems with a legacy OS's
Browser apps uncomfortable use of their webmail interface,

hmmm... gmail website has instructions for Eudora 5.1 and higher. Needs SMTP Auth enabled, and SSL/ alternate ports enabled for SMTP sending, and password authentication for POP. Should work.

If other clients do not work, do they support SSL at all? It's different than SMTP Auth or POP authentication. I've only used Eudora on macs, until OS X Mail showed up.

The gmail help has screen captures of how the Eudora configs should look. I'll try it on Sunday with my laptop and gmail account if you report failure, but I"m pretty sure it will work.

Might be time to turn on keychains and anything that keychain needs to operate, on your system.

 my
stacks of archived to CD media stuff in hopes of finding a 5.x
version(as I'm still comfortable with legacy Eur4.x version) ,
yet I do believe that I came across the older versions maybe
in the UMich(or was it: AMUG/old Macaddict CDs?) archives.

<http://www-peter.cis.yale.edu/eudorassl/>

is one place with the 5.1 Eudora. Versiontracker made it hard to get to anything but current 6.x, for me.

4.1 won't do SSL so if that's what you've been testing gmail with, that's at least part of why it is not working.
IIRC 4.x can do strange things to your system, BTW, at least as originally released. I went back to 3.1 for a long time, even though I bought 4. I only moved upwards again when I needed personalities. And now it's apparent I also need SSL connections.

see what developes whether it's with ver. 5.x or a sponsered
6.x, anyway fingers are x'd.

Either should work.

HTH.

Brian