On Saturday, February 12, 2005, at 08:11 AM, Dave Foshee wrote:

I order my first powerbook last Friday and I want to make sure I have the
basics before I start using it. Would anybody mind telling me how important
a keyboard chamois or cover is to protect the screen on the new Aluminum
G4s?

Quite, imo. All modern laptops, Mac or PC, are so thin these days that they transfer oils from the keyboard to the screen. I see it all the time on the systems we work on in the office.

This is largely a cosmetic issue, but it's an annoying one.

I don't want to get a new computer and then get a messed up screen! Also,
which one would you recommend I look at?

Well the *cheapest* route is to use the thin piece of foam that will come with it.

The next cheapest is a simple piece of paper. Lots of people use that.

But if you want a nice one go to Pep Boys, AutoZone, Checker or some other car parts store and buy a chamois there. Cut out a piece big enough for the keyboard (use the foam piece as a template) and you're set. Then you'll have enough left over to make about a half dozen more to sell to friends or relatives with Mac or PC laptops.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson