--- martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your suggestion that I upgrade to OSX is well taken,
> Bruce.
> However, I've been upgrading hardware, Operating
> Systems, and
> software constantly since 1987. Working in the
> graphics/design field,
> I use the following apps almost every day:
>
> Photoshop, InDesign, Freehand (and Illustrator),
> Pagemaker (and Quark
> Xpress), Vectorworks, ClarisCAD (still rocks!),
> UpFront,
> DesignWorkshop, Acrobat and many more, all in
> OS9.2.2.  Some of these
> aren't even available for OSX, some run only in
> Classic Mode (sorta
> like running Windows 3.1 over DOS I reckon), and a
> few of the apps I
> rely on are now orphaned/abandoned, yet I'd be lost
> without them.

::chuckles::  I am pre-press for a four-color print
shop and I do a little....very little... design work
on the side.  At work I have all the newest software,
though I also have my own collection of software at
home that I personally own.  Due to the fact that I
don't do very much with my on the side business I find
it hard to justify spending money upgrading my
personal set of software and my morals won't let me
take the software from work.

So on my computers at home I use Illustrator 6.02,
Photoshop 5.5, InDesign 1.52, Freehand 8.01b,
Dimensions 2.0, ImageStyler 1.0, PageMill 3.0 and
BBEdit Lite 4.6.

I use these on my Powerbook 3400 in 9.1 and my Bondi
iMac in 10.3.8 and all of them work just fine in
Classic.

In fact out of all the graphic software that you
mentioned the only one that has a little quirk working
in Classic is Quark.  In Quark 4.0-4.11 the screen
redraws are a bit screwy, but just hitting the
windowpane thing twice fixes that.

As far as PageMaker.... ::holds up a cross to ward
away evil::  open them in InDesign and never look
back.

PageMaker files are the "Debil"!  <---Waterboy quote
;D

The best part of running in Classic rather than
actually in 9.1-9.2.2 is when an application crashes
your computer doesn't.  Sure sometimes it will take
out classic but you will find the longer you are in X
the more you will prefer native X applications so you
can take advantage of the multi-tasking capabilities.

In Classic the Print Manager prints documents one at a
time no matter whether you are printing to different
printers or not.

With X native applications I've had files ripping to
my Quicksetter and printing to my laserprinter at the
*exact* same time.... while I also had Virtual PC
running CorelDraw 10 and Publisher in XP and Photoshop
CS, InDesign Cs, Illustrator CS, Freehand 10, Quark
6.1, Acrobat 5 (Acrobat 6 is slower than hell),
Acrobat Distiller 6.1, iTunes and Safari open in X.
Try doing that with a computer running in 9.1-9.2.2.

The RAM requirements of all those applications alone
would kill almost every computer.  X apps release the
almost all their RAM when they are not actively
performing a task.... Classic apps always keep
whatever you have assigned to them even if they are
doing nothing and usually don't release it cleanly
when you quit an application anyways usually forcing a
restart after opening and closing several
applications.

As someone who spends 8-12 hours a day on a computer
doing pre-press the benefits of X, more specifically
Panther increase my productivity immensely.  Before X
I used to lose half a day at least once a week from
getting some screwed up file or font from a customer
that took down my system.  Now the only files that
give me hell are InDesign files that used to be Quark
files with Illustrator EPS's embedded.  I've NEVER had
a problem with a native InDesign file.

just my two cents...

Matt aka HamletUSMC
www.geocities.com/hamletusmc/