Here is a post on this subject from January this year.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:03:46 -0500
To: "PowerBooks" <powerbooks@mail.maclaunch.com>
From: Kenneth Vann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:  PB1400 Wireless Answers

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:42:34 -0500
From: Fluxstringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I changed the subject line on this spinoff thread as someone should
have a while back.

So perhaps the one concerning the 1400 can continue.  I'm interested
the 1400 relevant wifi

and tired of reading posts aimed at the other models.

Forgive my ignorance here. It is hard for me to know the overlap of
what will work from model to model as i don't have a stack of
powerbooks in the closet.

So more concerning PB1400 under the former subject line please.

Well to start with, we should choose a software which will work on your older PowerBook. If you don't already have a wireless card, their are 4 choices. Orinoco, Skyline, Asante, MacWireless. Software for all of these will work on a PowerBook 1400.

Orinoco and Skyline are the most common but out of production, Asante is
out of production, MacWireless is in production.

This email will cover the Orinoco and Skyline as they are the most common.
The Asante is hard to find, and the MacWireless cost more.

For help in installing wireless on a PB1400 ,start with my Wireless FAQ
Page. There you will find all the software links you need, and my personal
experience on the problems I encountered putting wireless on my PB1400.

You can also read Derek Miller great site about his experience with a
PowerBook 1400. Its the first link on my site.

The PB1400 can be tricky to get to wireless if you have ever installed
software for a PCMCIA or Internal Ethernet card. This is a problem with all
PowerBooks that use Card & Socket Services v2. CSS2 can not be updated, it
is in the Roms.

Most any of the Lucent WaveLan, Proxim Orinoco Classic Gold and OEM/clones
listed on my FAQ will work. These cards are available new and used. I
recommend System Software 8.6 and Orinoco software v7.2 for your PB1400.
Several people have reported that the Orinoco installer will not complete
the installation on a PB1400. This is covered in the Troubleshooting
section on my Wireless FAQ. Also if you chose to use this card type, make
sure you get one which is 128 bit encryption. The back of the card will say
128RC4 somewhere on the label.

The Skyline card software is more Mac like. The Mac compatible Skyline is
available New and used. It supports many models from OS 7.5.5 to 9.2.2. I
recommend System Software 8.6 and Skyline software v3.1 for your PB1400.
When purchasing a Skyline, you must get the correct one, as there are some
Skyline wireless card's that are for Windows only. The Proxim Skyline card
also supports 128 bit encryption.

See my FAQ site for photos and a FCC ID Number for the correct one sold
under the Proxim Skyline name. I don't have Photos or a confirmed FCC ID
Number for the one sold as the Farallon Skyline. This card is still
available under the MacWireless name as they provided the software to
Farallon. It's a bit more expensive if you buy it new from them versus shop
on ebay for a new or used one from Proxim.

Both of these software and card packages will connect to any 802.11b or
802.11g base station. Both are compatible with the Airport Base Stations.
And you can configure a Graphite or Snow Base station with the Airport Base
Station Utility or Java configuration tools on your PB 1400 using eithor
card.

If you need help, you may contact me direct. I will be glad to help you
with it.

By the way, for those list members who know about my Wireless FAQ site, I
have updated it today. New phonographs of many of the Mac Comparable cards,
updated Proxim Wireless info, Updated links to Farallon EtherMac and
Farallon NetLine Ethernet Software.

Ken Vann

================================================== Old Macs have new uses with WiFi. See my FAQ for what you need at http://home.earthlink.net/~kjvann/

--