[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'm in desperate need of help: needed to clean some crud out from underneath the space bar on my G4 667/10.3.8 TiBook's keyboard seven agonizing days ago and duly disconnected power supply and removed battery before removing the keyboard. When I had put everything back together and switched on the computer, FileVault, or what I have dubbed "VileFault" after belatedly discovering numerous similar horror stories, had nicely locked up about 10 GB and several years' worth of my documents, pictures, sound clips, preferences, email, appointments, addresses, etc., into a sparseimage which I cannot for the life of me, and it may be the death of me, manage to pry open. Double-clicking on the sparseimage elicits this response: "The following disk images failed to mount . . . . . Reason: no mountable file systems." I've turned VileFault off, forever, and tried Disk Utility at least a dozen times. Have also tried unsuccessfully to use Data Rescue but their instructions call for connecting to a FireWire drive and I've now discovered that there seems to be a problem with my FireWire port which I've never used before. A technician for Disk Warrior (I don't own their product) gave me some instructions for solving the problem with Terminal which have also failed so far to work. I would be incredibly grateful for advice that will help me get my files back.

Pardon me if this is too simplistic but if you have turned FV off, and your disk is encrypted, how is it going to be seen by your computer?
Here is a suggestion for what it's worth:
Try creating a new user, log in as the new user, then mount the sparseimage with your previous username and password.

Good luck.

bm