>Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:54:42 -0600
>From: Caleb Cupples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: 190 browsing
>
>I just bought a 190 running OS8 and I need some recommendations as to
>what ethernet and/or dial-up modems work best and which browsers are
>best. Are there any WiFi cards that are compatible? Please help.
>
>Caleb

The Proxim Skyline Documents (v3.1) state that the 190 is supported.

The Orinoco Documents (v6.00.4) states that the 190 is supported.

Based on my experience, the Skyline v3.1 software is more mature for your
190 than the Orinoco (v6.00.4) when using OS8.

If you are able to run OS 8.6, only then would I recommend the Orinoco
software.

Please note that the Skyline software only supports 64Bit WEP, while the
Orinoco supports 64 & 128Bit WEP.

You can find links to the software and manuals for both cards on my
Wireless FAQ Site.

As for dial up modem, any full PCMCIA modem is usable. It must be a full
modem, not a WIN Modem.  I have had good luck with modems by Zoom and
Supra. The Zoom is still available new, but the Supra is only available
used. Also any stand alone modem will work, again it must not be a WIN
Modem. You just need a Mac specific cable.

As for EtherNet card, a Farallon EtherMac card works well under OS 8. They
are available used on ebay. But please note, that it is difficult to get a
190 to work with both a Wireless EtherNet and wired EtherNet at the same
time. Not impossible, just difficult.

Ken Vann