I may have an opportunity to buy a decent used iBook (12" screen), but I can't determine from Apple's site, if I can install OS9 on it. It currently runs some version of OSX.

My understanding is that Apple's firmware updates are designed to prohibit installing earlier versions of the OS (this happened to me on my old G4, and I found I couldn't install OS8.6 from the CD that came with it, once I'd upgraded to OS9). If that's the case, might it be possible to overwrite the firmware to "revert" it, allowing me to install an older OS on a newer machine?

I'll sleep just fine, even knowing that Apple doesn't want me running older OS on new machines :)

TIA