I thought that a newer mac could talk to an older mac using a crossover cable, so I must be doing something wrong.

Here's the scenario:

5300 - OS 8.1, Open Transport 1.3.1, TCP/IP switched to Alternate Ethernet and DHCP configuration, AppleTalk set to Alternate Ethernet, Apple Talk Active, File Sharing on, Owner ID is Dan, computer name is Dan.

Pismo - OS 9.2.2, TCP/IP switched to Alternate Ethernet and DHCP configuration, AppleTalk set to Alternate Ethernet, Apple Talk Active, File Sharing on, Owner ID is Dan, computer name is Dan, box is checked to let file sharing clients connect using TCP/IP.

Nothing shows up in the chooser of either computer. Network Browser doesn't see anything. OTTool cannot ping either of the other computers. Every port works, crossover cable was checked between the Pismo and a TiBook as working (as well as networking between those two) the Global Village Fax/Modem/Ethernet card connects to the internet through the ethernet port, so that's working.

All the hardware works, but they refuse to recognize one another.

What gives?  Besides me giving up??

My only clue is that, while the Pismo will receive an IP address when TCP/IP is set to DHCP, the 5300 won't. OTTool only shows its address as 0.0.0.0. It's when I assign it an address manually (I use 169.232.151.4; my understanding is that the numbers I'm choosing should work) that OTTool will register that address.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

-Dan