Dear powerbook users,

I'd like to ask the people who have 'messed around' with their pb 1400 for
advice concerning how to make battery life last longer. Also I'd like to
have some advice concerning
-using Compact flash cards

works great. With a little fiddling you can even boot from one.

-using a ram disk

I don't bother, not enough RAM on these things.

-using OS 8.6, 9 (.1 and 2.2) and OS X (maybe somebody got this far...)

9.1 works great for me (1400 with a G3). 9.2 might work, OS X- never IMO.

-Linux based OS'

Exist but last I looked was missing support for major things- floppy for sure, maybe sound? and stuff like that as well. Not very well supported unless something new has come out.

-External batteries

Would be fun, 24V DC needed though, plus a connector from a dead 1400 P/S.

-Ram Doubler

I used a little with 8.6 but I think 9.1 has issues, does just as well with disk-based virtual memory, or both.

-any other extremely cool things one can do, without knowing it. (besides
Wifiying, please)

3com 589 series ethernet PC Card can be found for $10 and works well, with a patch of the free Farallon drivers (same chipset on both cards, but the Farallon is still kinda expensive for what it is).

Wifi is still real cool, guess you know about that :)

The G3 accel.  is a life saver.

20gig or bigger laptop IDE drives are cheap and work really well, providing a speedup just in the faster HD times than in the stock model.

My main powerbook is still my 1400/G3/60 RAM/20gig drive. I'm starting to thing about getting an older TiBook though due to poor browser support for the 1400/9.1, and some web sites are starting to have problems. Ebay for one, some people have problems with paypal, and my bank just updated their pages and I can't do that from my powerbook anymore, last I checked.

I'd do the HD for sure, if you want to make a big commitment, RAM and G3 are about equally important upgrades. Without a G3, I'd think about staying with 8.6 myelf, depends on your patience.

HTH.

Brian