Charles Guatney wrote:

...interesting stuff snipped...

You might have better results with a later OS.

Charles,

Maybe you missed the early parts of this thread:

I have a PB190CS with OS7.5.2

I have no browser, decompression utility, or network card in the unit.

I do have Claris Works and Norton Utilities, which, as far as I can see, have no decompression or installer type utilities.

I have OS7.5.3, 7.5.5, 7.6.1, and OS8.1 on my linux hard drive. The 19 files of 7.5.3 from Apple are on the PB, but they're in .smi.bin (the first file) and .part.bin format (all the rest). Another list member says I need Stuffit Expander to read those files.

I have downloaded Stuffit Expander from Allume but it's a .sit format file, which still requires a decompression utility which I don't have.

Another list member sent me an apparently uncompressed Expander, but it won't execute. I don't know why.

I've been trying for two weeks to get my OS updated. I'm learning a lot about the Apple environment, but so far I'm making no progress getting my PB updated.

John Perry