Dan writes,

<I run my 5300 and 3400 on 8.6.  9.1 would be nice, although slow, because
network file sharing over TCP/IP is only available with 9.1 and above.  I
cannot share files between my G3 and my 3400, but that is minor compared
the speed loss.>

Hmm, well, if you really have files you need to move over from your G3 to
either your 5300 or 3400, you can still set up an AppleTalk network.
Yeah, transferring files this way is slow, but I know it can be done.
Very recently I successfully moved a whole bunch of files (both data and
apps) from my G3/266 (OS 9.1) to my PB 5300c (OS 8.5).

~Yersinia.