[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snipped introduction>
>A Kanga was configured with an external SCSI drive, an EIDE/UATA DVD
>drive converted as described above. The Apple DVD Player 1.3 software
>was installed on a clean install of Mac OS 9.0.
>
>A Wallstreet DVD decoder card was inserted into the Kanga. The decoder
>card was recognized. A DVD was inserted into the drive. The DVD would be
recognized as such,
>but would not launch the Apple DVD Player.
>
>Launching the Apple DVD Player application manually resulted in a
>"missing hardware" warning, followed by an orderly application
>termination.
I was gonna suggest using MacsBug to try and figure exactly what hardware
component is 'missing', but IIRC DVD Player won't run if there's a
debugger installed. :-( How the heck can one discover exactly what is
missing? What does System Profiler say? This is one of those mysterious
things where I could never figure out exactly what was missing, at least
not without alot of PITA trial and error testing.

I sure wish I had a Kanga, I'd try your same setup using an internal
DVD-ROM drive, not that it would likely make any difference.

If you have X installed, perhaps try VLC.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500