Problem has been avoided, more or less. I switched back to the 2 gig
drive that came with the 3400c and still had 9.1 on it. The 5 gig went
to my Toshiba temporarily, as the drive just snaps in and out of it
without a huge overhaul, and I loaded Mandrake 9.x on it. I wanted to
get linux on the 3400c but that didn't seem to be working out. Now I'm
on linux in gmail on a darkside (more or less) laptop replying to a
powerbook problem which isn't really a problem any longer.
Still don't know what was wrong with the 5 gig under 8.5 but the 2 gig
runs fine now. Thanks for the help, crew.
(Is a pc still on the darkside if it runs Linux??)

BM