PETE wrote:

I find that 3400 just loves OS 8.6
Pete.
--- Noah Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I guess part of all of this is trying something out just to try it out, which I do all the time (with computers that is.) My old G3 beige takes forever to boot with 10.2 Jaguar while my 3400cs take forever to boot with 9.1 and never ran on 9.22 so taking this farther, even with XPF in control would be really frustrating. But, like OS X on an Xbox, it would be fun to try.

What's interesting to me in all of this is that if you use a powerbook as a truly portable system, and if the OS takes forever to boot and really wants to be left on all the time, shouldn't there be a special OS just for powerbooks, or a dual boot setup where you choose between a full boot or a quick and dirty boot for the bus/train/plane ride home? Carrying around a sleeping laptop seems dangerous to me and I'd rather just shut it down. I've just installed Linux on one of my pc laptops and it just cries to be left on 24/7, which can't happen. But, as with OS X, it is an incredible OS, pretty to look at and very fast and I can't go back to the original w 98 ever!

Maybe this already exists and a true power user could tweak the settings for a faster boot on a powerbook but for the rest of us, a dual boot setup might be a real plus.

bm