Dan Palka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 19:13:42 -0500
>
>How is this even possible???

and Fluxstringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> speculated:

>Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 20:58:03 -0400
>From: Fluxstringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Macintosh HD Format My Guess
>
>My guess is that PlusMaker analyses the drive. then finds a free
>space to copy a block  of data to Then rewrites that section to the
>new HFS + nad copies the data back onto the new formatted block.
>
>It would proceed to write the whole drive this way.
>
>Just a guess..
>
>Oh, you meant how can they sell it for $ 30 bucks.   I don't know.

Which sounds about right to me.

By the way, although I didn't find the exact answer to Dan's question on
Altsoft's site, I highly recommend the "Ask Al" section of
http://www.altsoft.com as a resource for how disks and filesystems work.
The "search by subject" area is a gem.