At 8:55 AM -0500 5/18/05, Timothy Larson wrote:
Hello list,

I'm trying to get an old 2300c (running 7.6.1) net-worthy for a kid. It doesn't have a modem, but I do have one of those micro etherdocks. It's been a long time since I've worked with System 7, but I remember this being dead simple back in the classic MacOS days - just plug in ethernet, make sure TCP/IP is getting a dynamic address, and you were set. (Ironically, setting up a modem was more work, but since I did it more often I could probably get that done quicker.)

The problem is that TCP/IP only gives me the option to use MacIP, whatever that is. (Some kind of AppleTalk networking?) I reinstalled the networking bits since the Duo's been lying around and I couldn't remember how it was configured. PPP briefly appeared as an option, and I set the netmask, et al. But as soon as I tried to save that configuration I got an error, and the PPP option disappeared again.

What can I check? I've never really used notebooks that much, but I do know they have some special control panels that I might not be familiar with. I need to have this info soon because I only have two more nights to work on this before I give the machine away! It's still a nice little machine, and I'd like to get it in useful condition.

Thanks,

At a minimum it sounds like you don't have the software for the MicroDock installed. The part about PPP disappear implies your software may be corrupt.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA