>>Light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper?
>>
>>Tape around the edges to protect the shell and prevent migration  of dust or
>>water if wet sanding..

Dear God!

Y'know, it occurs to me that "fixes" to many computer problems are not going to
be found in the wood shop. Strange as it may seem, notebooks are pretty
sensitive & complicated devices, and need to be treated with a little care.

Sanding may fix it cosmetically, but I'd be very surprised if it fixed it
mechanically.

Trackpad areas discolored by friction or finger oil should be cleaned carefully
first. Occasionally, I have found this helps. A careful application of Windex
or similar cleaner on a lint-free soft cloth (NOT paper towel;bits may come
loose & get in the edges....not good.) often helps. Be careful, as Fluxstringer
pointed out, about getting liquid in the edges of the trackpad. While probably
not fatal, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to introduce any type of
moisture into a notebook of any kind.

If that doesn't help, and you're sure it's not a software bug (who knows?
stranger things have happened...see below...!)  I'd look to have the trackpad
replaced. Hell, I've worn out mice in my time (and yes, I was surprised!), so
nothing lasts forever.

There are several places on the web that sell replacement trackpads for the
do-it-yourselfers, or it like me some days you just wake up with the mechanical
acumen of a turtle with a screwdriver, your local Mac shop would probably
install the new parts for a fee.

If it's a newer box, getting service can be a $$$ drag if not under warranty.
But on the other hand, when a Ferrari blows a flat (and they do....!) you don't
fix it with chewing gum & duct tape.

*BTW, there is a software fix for some specific models with this kind of
problem...here's the first couple paras of the read-me. If this applies to you,
or you are interested (and running 9.2.2 & down....) drop a line. I may know
where the software is.

Important Information about Trackpad Climate Control
For Your Macintosh PowerBook Computer

What Is Trackpad Climate Control?

Trackpad Climate Control is a system extension that will reduce or eliminate
unexpected movements of the pointer caused by moisture on the trackpad or
humidity.  The extension is designed for the  Macintosh PowerBook 190,
Macintosh PowerBook 1400, and Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300.

Who Should Use Trackpad Climate Control?

You should use Trackpad Climate Control if you notice the pointer moving
abruptly when you initially touch the trackpad or "jumping" to its previous
position when you lift your finger after moving the pointer or tapping the
trackpad.

Do not use Trackpad Climate Control if you have not had pointer-movement
problems on your computer.  (The extension could make the pointer less
responsive when you use the trackpad.)

The extension works only with the PowerBook 190, PowerBook1400, and PowerBook
Duo 2300.

So there you go. Hope this helps.

gwd