On Tuesday, June 7, 2005, at 03:54  PM, Fluxstringer wrote:

What is the bottom line difference between LION and NIMH batteries like in
the 5300 and 3400?

______

Lithium ion batteries do not have a " memory " problem like Ni-Cads. I forget about Nihm except they don't seem to be rechargeable for as long in my experience. I think the Li-Ons are worth the extra cost in the long run.
--
Adrian

Just a FWIW aside: The PowerEx folks who make a great NiMh charger for AA camera batteries claim that NiMh looses about 3% of their charge every day. I can confirm that batteries that have been sitting around for 4-6 weeks are almost useless unless recharged. I can also confirm the LiIon battery in my Sony camcorder does not suffer that problem. But LiIon batteries do seem to be fussy, potentially dangerous, and not supported by Apple. Go with what Apple wants you to go with for any particular model. Also NiMh batteries can be charged quite quickly. I've seen 20 minute chargers for AAs, though 8 hours gives you about 10% more charge and longer battery life. I always slow charge mine.

 - Peter