At 08:58 PM -0400 06/14/2005, Yersinia wrote:
Dan writes,
<I don't think AFP will let you copy already open files, such as the
System and Finder.  If that's the case, make copies by
option-dragging them to the desktop first, then push them to the
other Mac.>

Thanks for the instructions -- but what is AFP?

Apple Filing Protocol. That's what you be using over AppleTalk when you have File Sharing enabled...

And what does the option-drag operation do exactly to truly copy the
System Folder (as compared to just copying it over the AppleTalk network
to my G3's hard drive? (I just did the option drag, but it's be nice to know why.)

Some of the files in your System Folder are kept open by the running system. At least the System file itself, and the Finder, maybe a few others. If you try to just drag an active System Folder to another Mac, AFP will give you an error when it hits those open files. So you need to make a local copy of things first - so nothing is open. If you just drag those files to your desktop, the Finder will move (not copy) them with no complaint -- and you'll break your System Folder! Option-Drag tells the Finder to make a *copy* of the file, not just move it.

<Don't dump AppleWorks 5.  It's much faster than 6.  It also comes
with different fonts and clip art libraries, and more translators.
IOW, keep both versions around if you can.>

This is a totally new one on me!! Isn't it usually the common practice to
add features rather than subtract them when upgrading a software program?

Welcome to the Universe of Steve Jobs.

AppleWorks 6 is, IMO, a big screw from Jobs.

I don't have the full list of differences; here's what I remember:

1. The "telecom" module was eliminated. This means AW can no longer be used as a "dumb terminal" application. This was often used for direct mac-to-mac dial-up and file transfers over phone lines.

2. The pdf version of the manual is discontinued, and no print manual is available for AW 6. If you need a doc, you must buy it from a 3rd party.

3. Support for XTND is eliminated. This means NONE of the old translators from previous versions of AppleWorks or ClarisWorks work at all -- even the expensive DavaViz translator package (if you bought it). In AW 6.1, a minimum set of updated translators were "restored" (people had complained loudly, so Apple threw us a bone). Still notably missing is: SYLK - a standard text-based format for the interchange of word processing and spread sheet documents, the WordPerfect, and the all the older MS Word translators.

4. Support for Comma Separated Value (.csv) files was eliminated. Between this and the loss of SYLK, AW 6 is now incompatible with many financial web sites, older vers of Quicken, etc.

Apple's "official" solution to #3 & #4 is to purchase the $99 updated translator package from DataViz.

I considered #5 a bug until recently - when I got confirmation that this was done intentionally to fix some other problem:

5. AW6 truncates formulas at 126 characters, which breaks AW5 spreadsheets containing long formulas. Worse: when the spreadsheet is converted from AW5 to AW6, no warning is given - the forumlas are just truncated. If the shorter version happens to give a valid number instead of an error, then your spreadsheet ends up containing bogus results.

Here's a list of the fonts each product provided. If you're missing any of these, and can't pry them out of the installers, please lemme know. I'll send.

AW 5.0.3 installed these fonts:

    Arial MT Cn Lt                      MTExt
    Bodoni MT Ultra Bold                New Berolina MT
    Equation Editor Fonts               Old English Text MT
    Gill Sans Condensed Bold            Script MT Bold
    Klang MT                            TTYFont

AW 6.2.3 installed these fonts:

    Aristocrat LET Fonts                LunaITC TT Bold
    Bertram LET Fonts                   Machine ITC TT
    Bickley Script LET Fonts            Mona Lisa Solid ITC TT
    BlairMdITC TT-Medium                Party LET Fonts
    Bodoni Ornaments ITC TT             PortagoITC TT
    Bodoni SvtyTwo ITC TT               Stone Sans ITC TT
    Bodoni SvtyTwo OS ITC TT            Stone Sans OS ITC TT
    Bordeaux Roman Bold LET Fonts       Stone Sans SC ITC TT
    Bradley Hand ITC TT-Bold            Symbol
    Equation Editor Fonts               TremorITC TT
    Humana Serif ITC TT                 Wanted LET Fonts
    Jokerman LET Fonts

FWIW,
- Dan.