On Jun 15, 2005, at 12:54 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

You need to connect via IP address, Appletalk was dropped in 10.4. You'll need (iirc) Appleshare client 3.7 or better on the 520. This means you have to initiate the connection from the 520c and know the IP address of the iMac.

You can get Shareway IP from Open Door networks, but that's expensive. This is what Apple bundled with OS 9 to get IP file sharing. <http://www.opendoor.com/shareway/>

So, do I need a router or something to do this? I've been doing it with just a crossover cable, looks like I may have to finally spring for a router to get the job done. Someone else suggested using FTP to do it, but I have no idea how to set my 520c up for a broadband connection.

Also, where do I look to see what version Appleshare I have on the 520? And how would I upgrade that? I'm not going to spring for any expensive programs to get this to work, since I don't intend on spending any money on this old clunker. Just trying to beat it into usage.

EZ