Gurus.

Faced with the "Invalid Node Structure" warning, I pulled a 1GB Compact Flash card from my camera, slipped it into a PC card, formatted it for Mac OS, and backed up my dying HD to the CF card. So far no problem.

Then I installed OS 8.6 onto the CF card, chose it as the startup disk, unplugged the dying HD, and restarted. No problem. My 1400 booted up silently from the CF card. Nice.

I then shut it down, re-plugged the HD, restarted, and copied some desktop items and some extensions from the dying HD into the system on the CF card and shut it down again. I unplugged the HD and restarted.

Nothing but a grinning happy Mac! I hit the reset button and tried to startup from my recovery disk. Nothing but a goofily grinning happy Mac forever. It wasn't until I popped out the PC card containing the CF card that I was able to boot the 1400 up with the boot disk. It even starts up from the dying HD, but only without the CF card inserted.

But, and here's the rub, whenever I push the CF card into the slot: nothing. I can't get it to be recognized by the 1400 at all, either before a startup (happy Mac just grins at me) or after ("Cannot use disk 'Flash Drive' because a system error has occurred" -- no icon on the desktop.) I took the CF card to my iMac, plugged it into my USB card reader and the icon never appeared on that desktop either; although, when I pulled the card out of the reader I got a dialog box saying I hadn't properly put the item away. How could I? It never appeared on the desktop.

Last resort: I plugged the card back into my camera and tried to reformat it there. "Card Error." Can't reformat.

So, I have a 1GB CF card that is unrecognizable by two different computers and one camera. Any suggestions as to how I can revive this sucker?

-Bill