Doc Holliday wrote:

First, my apologies for the first post in the "Good Source of Used
Computers," it was a little disjointed. I use Mozilla's "Thunderbird" on my
G4 Sawtooth and it formats all emails with HTML, which the list won't
accept. So, I have to go over to Entourage to post to the list. Some things
got lost in the translation.

Regarding Craigslist...

I live in a very small town up on the continental divide in western Montana.
Total population here in the valley is 700 people. I know of one other
person on the local ISP that uses Macs - we have to be "self-supporting"
because when you say "Mac" the local ISP's eyes just kind of glaze over and
they mumble a lot.
Anyway, that kind of limits my shopping in person for any used equipment. I
did buy a TRS-80 laptop computer, of some sort, at a yard sale the other
morning and I did get it to boot to a prompt, probably, in ROM. That's about
the extent of the local market.

Anyway, has anyone done business on Craig's List at a distance? I have
looked at some of their ads in the San Francisco list and there is some good
stuff, (and, most curiously, I even saw a couple of people trying to swap PC
laptops for PowerBooks - they are must be what you call optimists). I am
somewhat reluctant to send money without any mechanism to protect my
investment.
Thanks in advance...

Doc

There are scams on craigslist and you don't have the security of the online auction site. I've had good luck here in Toronto but one very scary experience too, so beware. If you stick to a location fairly close to you, and in Montana, I don't know what that would be, you might be able to get to know some of the sellers and figure out which ones to trust. Offering to purchase one item often leads to other items from the same purchaser. If you read through the lists frequently, you probably can figure out who sounds legitimate. With Powerbooks, you can tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't and, judging from this list, those who know what they are talking about can pretty well be trusted!

On a side note, check out 'the best of craigslist' link at the left side of the page. Some very good and hilarious stuff there. There's one from Philly on March 18 or so that is outstanding, though a bit biased.

BM