At 09:58 PM -0500 06/18/2005, Dave Foshee wrote:
Does anybody know the rules for sending a computer to another country? Can
you do it? What are the laws keeping one from doing so? What can be sent and
to what country?

Where would I find these answers?

http://www.USPS.gov

A few (heh!) words of advice for shipping computer equipment:

Pack it really well. Back in the days when UPS inspected packages, they used to require 4" of foam on each side of your equipment. Consider that a minimum.

If using a used box, remove ALL previous labeling. Pay extra attention to removing or blacking out any that had bar codes on it.

Label the package clearly, on TWO sides. Big black bold fonts and/or a Sharpie marker.

Check with your local post office. Some are more careful about computer equipment than others, in that they require visual inspection. So some times it pays to not tape the box closed.

Be 100% truthful on the customs forms. Put the actual dollar value of the transaction on the form. Be sure to include a clearly written and accurate receipt inside the box. IF your buyer wants to you to put a "lower" amount on the customs forms, for any reason, think twice about shipping. Besides it being postal fraud on your part, it's a sure sign of a scam!

Make *sure* in advance, and in writing on your receipts and emails, that the buyer knows that ALL customs fees and duties and VATs are their responsibility. In the event of a product return, it is up to *them* to file paperwork with the taxing authorities to recover those monies.

Get receipts for everything.  Keep copies off all your emails.

If shipping to France, good luck.
(Just my own personal gripe. I've shipped products all over the world, sometimes to places I've never heard of. Every package I ever sent into France was delayed, sometimes by more than a month. Almost every one arrived damaged in some way - dented boxes, wet, etc. And in quite a few cases, the damage was actually to cover up the fact that they were cut open and the merch was stolen.)

FWIW,
- Dan.