On 2 Jul 2005, at 15:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi all,

Recently I acquired a 2nd Mac, a PB 160. It's in great physical shape but
it has it's quirks.
It boots up and I get a blank screen with a working mouse pointer, after several minutes it will ask for a floppy. If I insert a OS startup disk, I'll get the happy Mac icon, a few musical notes and then nothing. One time it booted to what looks like 6.0.x. Also is it suppose to take that long for the little Mac to respond? The harddrive does spin up and doesn't sound sick.
Are there certain keys to press at startup to get different  options?

Do you have an external scsi cdrom ? if so hook it up to the pb and start from that, you should be able to get all the system specs when booted to a cd so see if it has enough to put a bare system 7 on there. Depending on how big the hdd and memory is , (also what you want it for) i would go for claris works. or just word for writing.

It sounds like the hdd is dying so i would say that is the first thing to check once it is booted.

vicki