On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 ,Sorular <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Asked

>1) Would "Netgear WG-511" work on my pb3400? The Netgear product >site
>doesn't say anything about MacOS9 compatibility
>(http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG511.php) but this model >is
>the cheapest I could find on the market. Is there a way to get it
>working on my pb?
>I'm aware that I'll need to shave-off the the pc card a bit to get it
>fit into the pb....

IOXperts and Macsense have drivers that will work on your 3400 as long as
you are using OS 8 or above. You will find links on my Wireless FAQ site to
these drivers. Check their list of supported cards  before you buy.

You say you will have to shave off the end of the PC Card. This indicates
you are looking at a cardbuss card. This type of card is not supported with
these drivers. You need an origional 16Bit card. The specific card you
linked to is 802.11g and will not work on your 3400 under any condition.

You will be limited to 802.11b, unless you want to use a ethernet to
wireless adaptor. It kinds of makes your 3400 less protable, but could be
useful if you are using the pb as a desktop.

If you are running OS 8.6 or above, you can use the AirPort v1.3.1 drivers.
Andrew Kershaw has some great info on installing AirPort software on your
PowerBook 3400. You may want to spend a little more money, and get a card
which works with these drivers. Both Andrew's web site, and description of
AirPort compatable cards are linked on my FAQ site.

Their are at least 4 types of the Orinoco card that will work with the
AirPort v1.3.1. Pictures and discriptions available on my FAQ.

If not, than any of the cards listed on my FAQ will work with your PB.

Are you planing to use WEP encryption? If so, what have you chosen to use,
40/64 or 128Bit? Some of the 16Bit cards support both, some only the 40/64.

>2) Flash card on powerbooks been talked to death all over the internet
>but not quite in terms of its advantages and whether it's worth spending
>much funds on that (that I could find!).

1GB Compact Flash cards are selling local (local to me) for about $70. US.

I use some in a PowerBook 1400 to switch out OS and test different wireless
cards. A bit longer battery life. Cant tell if the preformance is better.
But I like using them. Ram Doubler is a better solution for vm than compact
flash cards.

Hope this information helps.

Ken Vann