LoveThemBeatles2 writes,

<My 1400 lives a somewhat sheltered life. I had originally bought it to
write
with; no games, no internet, no MP3s.  The love for the little Mac is
still
very powerful. Call me an over-protective parent.>

Well, for the first couple months I had a Powerbook (a 190 originally:
still have it but now use a 5300c), writing was all I did with it too
(although I did take it out from the start: the idea was to be able to
write without being chained to my desktop Mac in the apartment). After
those first couple of months of "writing only," I set it up to so I could
go online with it for emailing, chatting and minimal web surfing, and of
course when I got the 5300c I set it up for "everything I do"
immediately, to make it a miniaturized, portable version of the G3 which
is my "Indoors Mac." As to overprotective parenting of my Powerbook, I
always take it out in its carrybag (closed and zipped up while carrying
it around), and when it's home, it sits next to me on top of the file
cabinet happily drinking wall juice to keep the battery all charged up
and ready to go (and the battery gets reconditioned every month). The 190
has a safe home now in one of my bedside table drawers.

<Most recently I took it to work. We have a rather large break room  and
I'll
setup in the back, away from eaters/drinkers. Like moths to a flame;  the
PC
guys have to walk up and look.  They laugh and snicker..    I extend my
hand
and say " Come...Come to the DarkSide!!!!   IF you  only KNEW the POWER
of my
power PC"  it's pretty  funny. >

Oh yeah, don't know why I didn't mention this the first time around, but
mine has gone to work with me so I could write during lunch hour. It
never attracted much attention there (my coworkers being well aware of
the fact that I was a Mac freak and that I write), but I HAVE drawn some
attention while writing out in the courtyard or in the park with it.
However, it wasn't so much the idea that it was a Mac that caused these
people to approach me: they always want to know what I'm DOING with it.
The questions and comments I get: "Are you online?" "Are you writing a
BOOK?" "Wow, must be nice to be able to work outside on a beautiful day
like this." And so on. When they get around to "Boy, I wish *I* could
afford to get a laptop!" is when the Mac issue comes in, having bought my
5300c for $30 on the Swap List.  >:-) That's when I hit 'em with the
Macintosh Grand Tour and tell  'em why I don't do Windoze.

~Yersinia.

________

"Just when you start to accept that Life's a bitch, she has puppies."