125 miles is slightly larger than the distance from my router to my back yard but some of you may have larger houses and lots. :)

http://pasadena.net/shootout05/

There is also a site which describes the use of an wooden handled noodle strainer to achieve ranges of 10 k or so. If you have a USB wifi adapter and a reasonably long cable, you might be able to get free wifi access. Additionally, you can make a cheap pcmcia wifi card antenna from a fruit juice can and some small connector bits and pieces to increase the range of your pcmcia wifi card by at least two times. Pardon the intrusion but there appear to be some tinkerers on here who might enjoy experimenting.

BM