Caleb writes,

<It depends on what you're doing. If you're writing cross-platform
software,
you want to do tests on all the platforms you're writing for, hence the
PC.
Also, most of my compilers and my preferred office suite are Linux and
Windows only, and I don't feel like using Linux on a PPC Mac.>

Oops...sorry I forgot about you cross-platform software designers out
there.....Yes, that's a big one.

<Excellent point. Of course, I rely on my Linux machines, because it was
cheaper to have my 190 and convert the Windoze machines to Linux than it
would have been to go all Mac. >

People actually throw out PCs and monitors in amazing quantities, as I
learned from my boyfriend. He picks them up, takes them home, cleans them
up a bit if they need it, and turns them into FREE working Linux
machines.  ;-) He won't spend money at all to buy himself a computer of
any kind -- he doesn't have to. On top of that, because he's a packrat
who snares "spares" of computers, keyboards, mice and monitors too
(something dies, he walks across the room and attaches a new one), when
the monitor for MY G3 died not too long ago, he was able to spare THREE
monitors. One is the beautiful 17-incher (my old one was 14") presently
on the G3, plus two spares. Those are 14s, but it's fine: at the whopping
sum of $0.00 for both of us, the price was certainly right and the only
complaint I had about my former monitor wasn't that it was "only" a
14-incher, but rather that its death was VERY badly timed. (Even though I
have the two spares now, I've implemented certain precautions so I'll
never have to go through that again.)

<I use my Linux desktop for the same things I use the Mac for when I'm
away.
However, I prefer reading on the 190. It's something about that soothing
greyscale screen.>

Now, this is interesting. I like my laptop to mirror the desktop as
closely as possible. In fact, I "need" for this to be the case. While the
experience with the untimely death of the G3 monitor illustrated this
most strongly, it's true in general because writing is my primary use of
a computer. That is, while I'm most comfortable on the larger keyboard of
the desktop, I don't like to be chained inside the apartment either.
Having the Powerbook mirror the desktop closely means that I can transfer
what I'm working on from the desktop to the Powerbook, then back again
when I get home. Not to mention the ease of keeping a backup system:
since the G3 is regularly backed up with both Zip and CDs, so is the
Powerbook. If the apps and data on the Powerbook magically disappeared,
all I'd have to do to reload the Powerbook is transfer it over from the
G3. I've made the necessary transfers to date via printer port network,
but newly arrived in today's mail: I just got one of those HDI-SCSI
adapters for $6 on the Swap List (if I'd had this when the G3 monitor
died, I'd have been fine: watching the Swap List and then buying this
little baby as soon as I saw it listed is one of the aforementioned
"precautions" I took for future similar incidents). As soon as I get done
here, I'm going to go play with it -- there's something I want to
transfer which is too big for a floppy, but not big enough to make it
worth it to set up the printer port network: the plan is hooking the
Powerbook up to the Zip drive.

<I'm not going to go all Linux advocate on ya. I'm a Mac guy at heart,
but the
cost of a new Mac, or even a PPC PowerBook comparable to my old Satellite
is
more than I'm going to spend. As I said, I love my 190 so much that I
could
marry it. I just can't afford to go Mac only.>

That's OK if you do go Linux crazy. I'm kind of used to it, thanks to my
Linux-loving boyfriend, who praises it not just because of the fact that
he can always construct a working Linux machine, but also because Linux
itself is free and has the open source, letting him customize it to his
own liking. As to how come I can afford to be on Mac exclusively, by the
way, my 5300c, G3 and 190 came off the Swap List and Fleabay, for the
whopping sums (hahaha!) of $30, $15 and $25 respectively. There's no way
in hell I could afford to walk into a store and buy a brand new Mac
either..and quite frankly, now that I know I don't HAVE to, thanks to the
Swap List, I wouldn't buy a new one even if I COULD. (Kind of like my
boyfriend, collecting all those junked computers and peripherals even
though he DID have the money to buy new ones.)

Well, enough rambling already. Time to go play with my new SCSI adapter.
:-)

~Yersinia.

________

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to change the things I can change, and the weaponry to make the
difference."