I've loaded OS 9 on my 1400c/166, with 64 mb of RAM and even with the cache, it still chokes on OS 9. I got some better results when I started cutting out extensions, but truth be told, OS 9 didn't work well for this laptop until I got a G3 card installed in it. WIth the G3 card, OS 9 sings, but I would not recomend you install it without an upgrade card, and also some extra RAM would be of help. If you plan on sticking stock, go with OS 8.1, or 8.6. I had a great experience with 8.6, and even liked in some ways better than OS 9. It ran overall more smoothly under 8.6, and 8.6 was plenty snappy as well. It has most of the features most people want from OS 9 as well.
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: S. Valenza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: PowerBooks <powerbooks@mail.maclaunch.com>
Sent: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:39:55 -0400
Subject: Installing OS on 1400c

Hi, new subscriber here. I'm hoping to obtain a 1400c/117 PowerBook, and am wondering if I will need a System Enabler to load OS 9.1, 8.1, or 7.6.1 from a non-machine-specific Apple OS CD. (I don't have a PB-specific OS CD.) I tried to check Apple's support archive, but the link to the document I was
looking for didn't work (#21176).

Also, I'd be interested to hear thoughts on how many problems I'm likely to have with OS 9.1 on a 117 MHz PowerBook (w/48 MB RAM installed)? Thanks!