Correct, Richard, there are two predominate ways that a Cat5 Ethernet
cable can be configured. The common way has the transmit and receive
pairs configured straight through. This is the kind of cable used to
connect a computer to a hub, switch, or router. The other way is as a
"crossover" cable, meaning the transmit and receive pairs are "crossed
over" between the two ends. This allows you to connect two computers
-without- requiring the use of a hub.

Just a suggestion: since straight-through cables are far more common,
it's a good idea to put a label marked "crossover" on any cables of that
type.

Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_cable  (If you read
this closely, you'll see that only four of the eight wires are used in
Ethernet wiring. Your "flimsier" wire is probably a straight-through,
and the thicker wire is a crossover.

Ciao!
- Marty Swartz

Richard Ballard wrote:

Success! Apparently there are different types of ethernet cable. I was connecting my base station to the DSL modem using an ethernet cable which I use to network two Macs. I swapped it for a flimsier ethernet cable and it works just fine. Something about a "pass-through" cable being different from a "patch" cable?

Aloha,

Richard