W. Adrian D'Alessio ( FluxStringer ) wrote:

I have both machines but use a CRT monitor for the 9600. Connection to the 9600 is done via ethernet or a SCSI cable . SCSI is either 2 way or in disk mode. I am not sure how you would go about sending the 1400 keyboard input to the 9600, Take the case apart and plug in some sort of connector to the laptop keyboard cable? Sounds unlikely but not impossible. I think files would more easily be transferred as stated above. With a lot less hassle. Besides why not take full advantage of that tremendous 9600 processor while at home ?
The 1400  would serve better as a  adjunct to the 9600 rather than the other
way around.

Monitors are cheap . I got a great Viewsonic for ten bucks. And have found others in the trash.
Ethernet would be the way to go IMHO
I used to use Farallon's Timbuktu remote access to control a bunch of machines on a large Ethernet. It will, nicely, allow keyboard input from one machine on another. No matter what, since the host machine. (which, in this case would be the 1400), is doing the processing, the whole set-up - which involved a PowerBook 540c controlling everything from 8100/110 down - only runs as fast as the machine running the remote access application. It was marginally fast enough to do admin tasks with. I wouldn't want to run any applications.

I accessed a lot of machines over 33.6 modem connections like this, too. I called it "click and wait"...