On Oct 30, 2005, at 6:08 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

Re-celling is hard to do. Because it's dangerous, you can't buy loose cells on the open market. If you do find some, just be careful. Don't solder to them (spot weld the battery connections), or you're risking "rapid uncontrolled disassembly." This is *not* an operation for the casual hacker.

Also, there's a electronic component on each cell that ends up optimizing that cell, is my casual understanding, and it's next to impossible to get naked batteries with that component assembly on the consumer market. It's not just like getting a NiMH cell or 6 and DIY.

There are good resellers of assembled packs for most applications; not sure about old PB battery innards but I expect someone somewhere has figured out the form factor.