hey there,
I have a PB5300c that I bought recently on eBay. I knew about the
battery issues
with the model and figured that the replacement NiMH this unit was fitted with
was safe. The battery held no charge at all though it was recognised by the
system, and the
way I figured there would be NO TROUBLE FROM THE DEAD! Boy could I have been
more wrong!
I powered the unit up running OS8.6 and was transferring
files from an iomega scsi zip drive when I realised a capacitor type whining
from under the palm rest, and considerable heat building up. I removed the
battery to find that it had begun to cook around the positive terminal, plastic
had decomposed and fused itself to the terminal points within the battery bay.
What if I had left the power on for a longer period and gone to the
shops...goodbye little house.

My questions are thus:

What is the likelihood of the little devil cooking another replacement NiMH?

Should I feel confident to operate from battery power alone?

Am I correct to think that I cannot connect the PB5300c to power when a
battery
is in the bay?

Short of shipping a VST charger from the states is there a mod that can be
performed to the circuitry to enable safe charging within the unit?

Does anyone have any experience with APC NiMH replacement batteries?

thanks,
Matt..